Here we are!

Here we are!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

All Scripture is God-Breathed

Last night I was reflecting on life and thought about the passage in 2 Timothy 3 that says all scripture is God-breathed (NIV), as in living and breathing; alive. So I looked it up to get the context and see what else Paul had to say to Timothy. I like the New Living Translation:

15. You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus.
16. All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right.
17. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.

Wow. So instead of fretting over what to talk about with my boys regarding life and death, I can help them learn the scriptures. They will gain wisdom, truth, and righteousness. They will be prepared and equipped. And I particularly like the part about, “it straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right.” I’ve got a 7-year-old that could use some scripture teaching lately…

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Great reminders Tracy! You know, I had a couple parents in the past "caution" me to never use repetitive Scripture quoting with your kids, much less make them write a verse 10 times as a punishment...it might harden their hearts towards Scripture. Pshaw. Isaac has learned some very good lessons (and hidden God's word in his heart in the process) as Randy and I have lovingly disciplined him for different things and encouraged him to memorize helpful Scriptures as he writes them over and over. It definitely doesn't need to just be a punishment though. Using Scripture for a writing exercise over spring/summer break, or to start a journal entry is a great way to use it as well! Keep up the good thoughts Tracy! You are such a great mom!!!